3rd Annual Gussie Bennett Memorial Ball Hockey Tournament

This year marks the third annual Gussie Bennett Memorial Ball Hockey Tournament.

William Flowers is the organizer for the Co-ed Ball Hockey Tournament.

The tournament will take place up to the Jeremias Sillitt Community Centre.

The registration fee is $10 a player with 11 players maximum and seven players minimum for each team.

The team must consist of at least two females per team, with four on four on the tournament.

For 13 years and older, it will be from December 4th to December 6th, and for 12 years and younger will be on December 11th-13th.

If a player is under 18 years old, wearing a caged helmet and gloves are required, and indoor shoes are permitted.

The awards ceremony will be at a later date as Katie Suarak and Jimmy Bennett will be in camp!

Hopedale 2020 Candlelight/Watchnight Services

The COVID-19 illness and regulations has impacted our lives in many ways.

It has also affected how services will continue in the Hopedale Church.

Advent 2, 3 and 4 services will resume as normal right now. People are reminded to wear a mask when entering/exiting the Church. Masks may be removed once seated and within a safe distance from others or within your bubble. Masks must be worn when singing.

This year, a difficult decision was made to cancel the in-church services for the Candlelight services. Instead, one service will be held and aired on the local radio station at 4pm on December 24th, 2020.

Candles, apples and bulletins of the service will be given out at 3 locations on December 23rd.

The locations are as follows:

– Nanuk Centre for families on Berry Road
– Hopedale ICG office for families in subdivision
– Moravian Church for families in the village

One person from your family may pick up the items for your household.

Also, the Memorabilia service will be aired on the local radio station. This will be at 7pm, December 31, 2020. The Watchnight service will be cancelled this year.

These decisions were not made lightly; and with everyone’s health as the first priority. Further details will be provided after December 14 or if anything changes with the Provincial COVID-19 regulations.

We sincerely apologize for the changes and know the significance of these services in your lives, as well as in ours. Lean on each other, pray for each other and our world.

It will be a struggle during this season, but when we lean on each other and give all our cares to God, all things are possible. God bless you all during this Christmas season.

Changes to Requirements for Travelers Entering the Province

The Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Janice Fitzgerald, says that as of tomorrow there will be changes to the requirements for travelers entering the province.

The website and travelers form will now clearly outline the reasons travelers are allowed to enter.

Travelers will be required to declare which criteria they are permitted to enter for. They will be asked to complete the new form up to 30 days before their arrival.

Upon completion, travelers will receive an email with a confirmation number that they will be required to present to border officials at the point of entry.

Dr. Fitzgerald says these changes come to make it clear to travelers if they’re permitted or not before they leave their destination, and what is required from them when they arrive.

Another advancement to the travel process will require essential workers to identify the sector they are affiliated with, their worksite in the province, and their employer’s contact information.

The Province is Reporting One New Case of COVID-19

Today, Monday, November 30th, the province is reporting one new case of COVID-19.

The new case is a female in the Eastern Health region, aged 20-39. The case is linked to a previously reported case.

Newfoundland and Labrador has had a total of 338 cases of COVID-19.

There have been 298 recoveries so far.

The province has 36 active cases.

To date, 62,521 people have been tested.

Four New Cases

Yesterday, Sunday, November 29, Newfoundland and Labrador has four new confirmed cases of COVID-19.

The first new confirmed case is a male in the Eastern Health region between 20-39 years of age. The case is travel-related. The individual, who is not a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador, came to the province from England after being granted a travel exemption. The individual is self-isolating. Contact tracing by Public Health officials is complete. Anyone considered a close contact has been advised to quarantine.

The second new confirmed case is a male in the Eastern Health region between 50-59 years of age. The individual, a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador, is a close contact of a previous known travel case. The individual is self-isolating. Contact tracing by Public Health officials is underway.

The third new confirmed case is a female in the Eastern Health region between 40-49 years of age. The individual is a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador. The source of the infection for this case is under investigation by Public Health. An update will be provided as more information becomes available. The individual is self-isolating. Contact tracing by Public Health officials is underway.

The fourth new confirmed case is a male in the Eastern Health region between 20-39 years of age. The case is travel-related. The individual, a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador, returned to the province from work in the United States. The individual is self-isolating. Contact tracing by Public Health officials is underway.

While these four cases are all in the Eastern Health region, they are not connected to each other and they are not connected to the cluster in Grand Bank.

Newfoundland and Labrador has 36 active cases of COVID-19. Two hundred and ninety-seven people have recovered. No one is in hospital due to the virus. To date, 62,162 people have been tested.

LATP Update (Audio to be added later)

The Labrador Aboriginal Training Partnership has started the Mining Foundations training program.

Keith Jacque is the Executive Director with the LATP.

The Mining Foundations started as of November 17th and will finish on December 15th, 2020.

The Camp Attendant training finished as well.

Stay tuned to AtjiKangitut today to hear more LATP updates with Jacque.

The Province is Reporting FOUR New Cases of COVID-19

Today, Friday, November 27th, the province is reporting FOUR new cases of COVID-19.

The first case is a male in the Eastern Health region, aged 60-69. The case is linked to a previously reported case.

The second case is a male aged 50-59 located in the Eastern Health region.

A third case is a female aged 50-59 located in the Eastern Health region.

The fourth case is a female aged 40-49 located in the Western Health region.

The source of 3 of these cases is under investigation by public health.

Newfoundland and Labrador has had a total of 331 cases of COVID-19.

There have been 296 recoveries so far.

The province has 31 active cases.

To date, 61,320 people have been tested.

No Public Exams

Final public exams will not be conducted in the province this June.

Mid-term exams were cancelled for January very early on, with the decision now being extended to include end of year exams.

Education Minister Tom Osborne made the announcement on VOCM Open Line this morning.

Education officials are looking at what the future of standardized testing will look like, but for this year, there will be no mid-term or final exams.

Despite that, Osborne believes there is value in standardized tests.

Public exams were eliminated in the province for a few years in the 1990s.

He says at the time, post-secondary institutions indicated that high school students from this province were ill-prepared for post-secondary compared to students from other areas.

Osborne indicates they’ll be taking a “deep dive” to address standardized testing.

Story courtesy of the VOCM.

Coastal Schools

Due to the pandemic of COVID-19, the schools along the North Coast will be doing things differently regarding the Christmas holidays.

All schools along the coast will have their last day on Friday, December 18th, 2020, and will reopen on January 4th, 2021.

OKâlaKatiget Radio contacted each of the schools along the north coast to see what they have planned for Christmas this year.

Kent Chaulk is the Principal for the Jens Haven Memorial School here in Nain.

He says that they are undecided on holding a concert yet.

Dean Coombs is the Principal for the Amos Comenius Memorial School in Hopedale.

He says the ACM School will not be having a concert, but will be doing it virtually and there is no date set on when the students will present their videos.

The J.C. Erhardt Memorial School in Makkovik are also undecided on anything “set in stone” as of yet.

Carmine Sheppard is the Principal for the B.L. Morrison School in Postville.

She says the BLM School will also be doing their concert virtually and no dates have been set yet.

Gervis House is the Principal for the Northern Lights Academy School in Rigolet.

He says the NLA is doing their concert virtually; a teacher is now setting up the final details on when they will have their virtual concert.

Community Freezers

OKalâKatiget Radio called each of the communities to see what they have in their freezers and here is what they have to offer:

In Hopedale, they have cod, chicken legs, mattak, cod fish, smoked fillets and essential foods.

In Postville, they have salmon, char, cod and one duck.

In Nain, they have char and chicken.

The Makkovik Freezer offers Arctic Char and some cod fish for the seniors.

The Rigolet Community Freezer offers bakeapples, chicken, codfish and red berries.