Nunatsiavut Government Looking for Residential School Survivor Support Coordinator

The Nunatsiavut Government is looking for a Residential School Survivor Support Coordinator in Nunatsiavut.

It is a Temporary full-time position for the Department of Health and Social Development.

The closing date for applications is October 14th, 2020.

Qualifications for this position are:
– Must have the training and experience in supportive services
– Understanding of colonialism, intergenerational trauma, and residential schools
– Knowledge with Inuit history, culture and way of life
– Knowledge of current social problems, mental health and addictions
– Have a strong preference for ability to provide support in Inuttitut

Applications should be forwarded before 4:30 pm on October 14.

Applicants are asked to clearly state their Nunatsiavut Beneficiary Number on their cover letter and resume when applying.

Preferences will be given to beneficiaries of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement.

For more information or to apply, you can contact at careersonline@nunatsiavut.com.

Gas Predictions

Here are the predicted gas prices for this week.

George Murphy of the Consumer Group for Fair Gas Prices predicts a marginal increase of 4/10ths of a cent for gas and a decrease of 4/10ths for heating/stove oils.

The price of diesel isn’t expected to change.

No New Cases of COVID-19

Yesterday, Tuesday, September 29th, Newfoundland and Labrador went two days with no new confirmed cases with two active cases.

268 people have recovered and up to date, 41,471 people in the province have been tested.

In Alert Level 2, individuals should continue to practice good infection prevention and control practices.

Daily preventative actions can help to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

For the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19, please visit www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19.

Residential Book Launched (Audio)

Orange Shirt Day is a day when we honor the Indigenous children who were sent away to residential schools in Canada and to learn more about the history of those schools.

Today is Orange Shirt Day; this day is celebrated all across Canada this day is celebrated on September 30.

Andrea Proctor is an Anthropologist based in St.Johns.

She says this new book has been launched titled “A Long Journey: Residential Schools in Labrador and Newfoundland has been released.

This book was launched just last week on September 21, 2020.

Click here to find out more about this new book.

Polls for the Upcoming Nunatsiavut President Election

The Nunatsiavut Presidential elections will be held on October 6th, 2020.

There are two candidates nominated for President.

Beneficiaries of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement will choose from either incumbent Johannes Lampe of Nain or Andrea Webb/Tuglavina of Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

OK Radio wanted to find out who will be going to the polls to cast their vote in their respective communities.

So, we called at least 10 people at random from the phonebook in each community to find out if they are going to vote.

Here are the results we found:

In Nain, 80 % said they will vote, 10% said they will not vote, and 10% said they were unsure.

20% of the people who said they were going to vote said that they were going to vote Johannes Lampe, and the other 80% said they were undecided.

Out of the people we contacted in Hopedale 70% said that they were voting and 30% said they were not voting.

20% of the people who said they were going to vote said that they were going to vote Johannes, 70% said they were undecided.

And in Postville: 90% will go out to vote, 10% said they were unsure.

10% of the voters that said that they were going to vote said that they are going to vote Johannes and 90% said that they were undecided.
We also contacted residents in Makkovik, 70% of the people we contacted will head to the polls on October 6th.

20% of the voters will be voting Johannes Lampe and the remaining 80% said that they were undecided.

Out of the people we contacted in Rigolet 70% of the people we contacted said that they are going to vote.

20% said that they were going to vote Johannes, and 80% said that there we all undecided.

These numbers are of the people we could get in contact with and here are the overall percentages.

86% said that there were voting and the other 14% said that they were not voting or undecided.

25% said that they were voting Johannes Lampe.

The other 75% said that they were undecided and or didn’t want to say.

OK Radio would like to thank everyone who did participate.

Halloween on Track

The beginning of fall marked another milestone for young people to look forward to: Halloween.

Dr. Janice Fitzgerald said while COVID-19 may look much different in Newfoundland and Labrador in five weeks, right now there are no plans to cancel door-to-door trick-or-treating this year.

Fitzgerald said government and public health are developing guidelines for Halloween festivities, and added they will be available online within the next week.

“With diligence this can be done safely,” she said.

She added anyone who is self-isolating should not go out this year, and should arrange for someone else to hand out Halloween snacks.

Press Release on Rigolet Gas Station

The Rigolet Inuit Community Government is working with the Nunatsiavut Government on a short-term arrangement to keep the community’s gas station operating in the interim until a long-term solution can be found. While we understand there is still much uncertainty around the future of the gas station, rest assured that we will continue to work with all stakeholders as all options are being explored.

The Nunatsiavut Group of Companies will cease operating the gas station on Wednesday. While there may be some interruption in service, the Rigolet Inuit Community Government will, once again, assume control of the gas station for the time being.

In the meantime, we apologize for any inconvenience, and ask for your patience and understanding as we continue to strive to secure this essential service in our community.

For more information, please contact Charlotte Wolfrey, AngajukKâk at 709-947-3382 or by email at charlotte.wolfrey@nuntsiavut.com.

No New Confirmed Cases

Yesterday, Monday, September 28, the province of NL got no new confirmed cases since Sunday, September 27th.

There is a total of 273 cases with two active cases.

268 people have recovered and up to date, 41,130 people have been tested.

In Alert Level 2, individuals should continue to practice good infection prevention and control practices.

Daily preventative actions can help to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

For the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19, please visit www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19.

Deadline for Master-Apprentice Program Extended

The deadline for the Master-Apprentice Program for Postville and Makkovik have been extended to October 1st.

The Language, Culture and Tourism Department of the Nunatsiavut Government is offering their annual program that aims one participant to learn Inuttitut from Postville and Makkovik.

The time frame of the program will be from September 2020 to March 2021 with up to 20 hours per week.

Anyone interested in the program must write a letter stating why they’re interested before October 1st at 4pm.

You can email your applications to shirley.jararuse@nunatsiavut.com or call 709-922-2052.

Moose Hunt at Grosmorne (Audio)

If the pandemic does not affect the annual moose hunt at Grosmorne National Park, the Nunatsiavut Government will send 4 hunters on October 26th, 2020.

Todd Broomfield is the Director of Renewable Resources for the Nunatsiavut Government.

Broomfield says that they do have 30 moose licenses that are non-profit from Parks Canada, that is registered through the Ulapitsaijet Committee.

Broomfield adds that four hunters from Nunatsiavut partner up with 4 other hunters from the Island.

Broomfield also says that once rendered they will be sent to Goose Bay on the last week of November, and then ready for distribution to the Local Community Freezers.

Click here to find out more from Broomfield on the moose hunt.