The OKalaKatiget Society provides Inuktitut and English language programming to Inuit in the Northern Labrador and Lake Melville region. This aboriginal language programming is designed to strengthen our culture through language retention. The Society has set the following mandate for itself:
- To preserve and promote the cultural identity of the Inuit of Northern Labrador and Lake Melville region.
- To preserve and enhance the local Inuktitut language.
- To develop better communication by and between the people of Northern Labrador.
- To encourage public awareness, discussion and understanding of social issues between the people of Northern Labrador.
- To encourage public awareness and understanding outside Northern Labrador of the Labrador Inuit culture.